• October 3, 2017 at 6:05 am #7847
    Jenni
    Participant

I’d be interested to hear some viewpoints on the ceasing of sacrifices. I know many of you believe like my husband and I that the law is not irrelevant to us or done away with as is mainstream but some of my beliefs or arguments for following Torah don’t line up with the cessation of sacrifices. I mean CLEARLY (well in my eyes anyway) Jesus is our once for all sacrifice, our atonement for sins, but that is a change to the law. One of my proving points for following Torah is “For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.”
    ‭‭Matthew‬ ‭5:18‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
    But that doesn’t jive with the ending of the sacrificial system obviously.

Anyway, still so new to this changed way of thinking about scripture and how to walk after Jesus and I keep studying and all the road signs are saying I’m going in the right direction but I keep meeting these detours in the road that slow me down! HAHA

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by Jenni.
    October 12, 2017 at 6:31 pm #7867
    Mike D.
    Participant

Hi Jenni,

I’ve only been observing Sabbath and really studying Torah for a couple years so I have a LOT to learn but this is something that I’ve wondered about as well so I’ll share my current (limited) understanding.

Scripture tells us that the Temple will be rebuilt immediately preceding or during the tribulation and the animal sacrifices will be resumed. This is necessary because the antichrist will enter the temple, stop the daily sacrifices and declare himself to be god at the mid-point of the tribulation. Furthermore, It is clear from the Tanak (Old Testament) that during the millennial reign of Messiah there will be animal sacrifices (Ezekiel 40-48; Isaiah 56:6-8; Zechariah 14:16; and Jeremiah 33:15-18).

This would seem to support the idea that the Torah including the sacrificial system has indeed not been “done away with” as I used to believe and modern Christianity teaches. So, if we want to observe Torah should we start performing animal sacrifices? The answer seems to be no because there are no Levites/Priests to carry out the sacrifices as prescribed by Torah and there is no functioning Temple in Jerusalem which the Torah indicates is the only place that the sacrifices may be performed.

It seems that the sacrificial system has been temporarily suspended with the destruction of the 2nd temple around 70 AD but will be restarted at some point in the future. The much tougher question, in my mind, is why the need for the sacrificial system given that the blood of bull and goats can’t remove sin and Yeshua came to give us the new (or “renewed”) covenant by the shedding of His blood and He is a Priest in the order of Melchizedek (translation: King of Righteousness) which is far superior to that of the Levites and Aaronic priesthood? Is it possibly as simple as this: we are saved by grace through faith in the atoning work of Yeshua’s death, burial and resurrection but during the Millenium, after the return of Yeshua, all the people of the nations that survived his 2nd coming will need some other means of dealing with sin and thus the original sacrificial system will be re-instituted? I really don’t know but perhaps that is one possibility.

One other thought I just had was regarding the fact that throughout the bible there appear to have been a number of changes to the Law or Torah regarding sacrifices. So it shouldn’t come as a surprise that with Yeshua’s first coming there was a change to the Law regarding sacrifices. We know that Cain and Abel knew how to perform sacrifices and so did Noah, yet this was all before the giving of the Mosaic law at Mt Sinai. The pattern of the relationship between YHVH and man is one of progressive revelation. I don’t believe that various covenants that YHVH makes with man are meant to replace the previous one. It seems to me that the pattern is more of an additive one where one covenant builds upon another and provides additional revelation.

Hope there is something in what I’ve written that helps and that I haven’t caused you more confusion! Would love you hear what additional thoughts you or others have and get a dialogue going if possible. I’m going to see if 119 Ministries has any teachings on this topic that may be helpful.

Hope you enjoy the “last great day” of the Feast of Tabernacles and that you have had a wonderful feast. I’m sad that its coming to an end!

Shalom,
    Michael

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.